September 27, 2009

Park 2 Park 5k Race


So at the beginning of this year, I decided to start exercising to get healthy.  I started out on the  elliptical machine, then after visiting my good friend Carmen in Florida, started to run in the mornings during the summer.  She had me convinced it was the way to go, even though I hated running in high school and college.  Well, she was right.  I have lost inches and some weight, but feel a lot better.  I told Ryan that if I kept it up, I would run a 5k at the end of the summer.  Well, by Sept. I could jog 4 miles without dying, so I signed up for my first 5k.  If you know me, I am not a competative person, so I was a little nervous as to how these things worked.  I made Ryan and the kids come for moral support.  I had a great time and am proud of myself for completing the race without stopping or walking once.  I wasn't the first, nor the last, but I did beat my own time.  I made it across the finish line in just 36 minutes.  Yeah for me.  I also had the best cheering section waiting at the finish line for me.  Thanks Carmen for getting me motivated and started.  Here are some pictures.  Ignore the ones of me and enjoy the ones of the kids.



Me with my number waiting for the race to start.

Me again.

After crossing the finish line and all the kids running to meet me.

All the kids telling me they didn't want me to run anymore.  They missed me for the whole 36 minutes I was gone.

Morgan, Joshua, Gracie, and Jaxen posing while I catch my breath and drink some water.

Ryan trying to get everyone to pose together.  Rachel would not stand still, so you just see her hand to the left.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations! You look great. I should start running but every time I do I get sick. Go figure?!

Allison said...

Good for you Emily! The pictures of the kids running up to you at the finish are adorable and kinda made me choke up. What can I say-- I'm a softy ;)

The Crandall Clan said...

Way to go Emily. Im very proud of you! I wish it wasnt so hot and muggy around here so I oculd go out side more often. I dont think I would go running...:) But I wouldnt mind walking more often. :0 Any way, WAY TO GO!!!